Are you comfortable, competent, and confident working with sex issues in therapy?
If not, I can help.
I'm Martha Kauppi—an AASECT-certified sex therapist and supervisor, a former midwife, and a lifelong educator whose private practice specializes in the intersection of sex and relational issues. I use and teach the Bader/Pearson Developmental Model of Couple Therapy, which incorporates concepts of attachment, differentiation, and neuroscience.
Thousands of therapists have taken my courses, attended my talks, or been in consulting groups with me. I’ve worked with generalists who had never discussed sex with clients before, as well as with experienced sex therapists looking for new ways to conceptualize and work with sex issues.
Students at every level have seen this course make a difference in their therapy practices and even in their personal lives. Being able to talk about sex effectively will set you apart as a therapist and give you a competitive edge. More to the point, your clients will deeply appreciate your ability to identify a sex issue effectively and address it directly.
I’ve spent my career as a therapist pursuing a deep understanding of the intersections between sexuality, physiology, and relational dynamics. I’ve created this course to serve as a fusion of the best resources and strategies I’ve found--so that you don’t have to spend years slogging through everything that’s out there.
After the first 40 minutes of my course, you’ll walk away with skills that will make a difference in your very next session.
You’ll know exactly what questions to ask to raise the topic of sex, put your clients at ease, and feel confident guiding the conversation. You will know how to quickly sort through interconnected symptoms and get to the heart of any common sex issue.
Imagine being able to:
- Feel comfortable opening the conversation about sex with every client
- Construct a roadmap for how to continue the conversation with confidence, no matter which sex issues are presenting
- Quickly separate tangles of symptoms with sexual, physical, emotional, spiritual, and relational components and move forward with an appropriately prioritized treatment plan
And if you’re already experienced working with sex issues, you’ll pick up some serious relational therapy skills, plus a new way of tackling sex issues that combines key insights about anatomy and physiology with a deep understanding of relational dynamics. Prepare to elevate your practice by:
- Weaving together an understanding of relational dynamics, physiology, and neuroscience
- Expertly implementing a variety of unique tools and interventions specifically designed to improve your effectiveness working with sex issues
- Mastering multiple strategies for untangling complex relational sex issues like desire discrepancy, changes in sexual function over the life span, and more
Everyone experiences a sex-related challenge at some point in their lives, and most of them don’t need a specialist: they need you! Your clients need you to be able to discuss sex issues with competence, confidence, and comfort.
ATSIP 2022 includes:
- A total of 10 learning modules available to you immediately upon sign-up. That way, no matter what kind of case you’re working with, the information you need is at your fingertips, exactly when you need it.
- 10 live videoconferences, during which you will be able to ask me your questions, get to know your colleagues, process material, and get support. All of the videoconferences will be recorded, so you can learn from all of them, even those you are not able to attend in person.
- A private online community where you and your colleagues can ask me and my talented team of teaching assistants questions, discuss cases, build your network, practice new skills, and support one another on the journey
- Access to an ever-expanding annotated list of books and online resources for further study, organized by topic for easy access when you need it
- Access to a library of recorded interviews with experts in the field discussing a broad range of special topics, including out-of-control sexual behavior, erectile dysfunction, sexuality in pregnancy and postpartum, and working effectively with sex issues that affect queer clients, polyamorous clients, clients on the Autism spectrum, and clients with ADHD.
- 22 CEUs approved by the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists, following a post-test*
- A certificate of completion, suitable for framing, and a detailed syllabus that you can use to apply for CEUs with your professional organization.
*This program meets the requirements of the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT) and is approved for 22 CE credits. These CE credits may be applied toward AASECT certification and renewal of certification.
Assessing and Treating Sex Issues in Psychotherapy—Level 1
Module 1: Getting Under Way
Module 2: Healthy Sexuality and Sexual Health: Building a Solid Foundation for Treatment
Module 3: Three-Tier Assessment: Identifying and Working with the Issues: Deep Dive Part 1
Module 4: Three-Tier Assessment: Identifying and Working with the Issues: Deep Dive Part 2
Module 5: Pelvic Anatomy: Not Just for Reproduction
Module 6: Linear versus Circular Model of Sex: Indispensable Key to Treating Any Sex Issue
Module 7: Supporting Progress with the Linear versus Circular Model of Sex: Toolbox
Module 8: Physiology of Arousal Deep Dive: Becoming a Sexual Problem-Solver
Module 9: Desire Discrepancy: Pulling Together your Toolbox and Putting It into Practice
Module 10: Working with Sexual Dysfunction
PLUS: You’ll get access to my Interviews with Experts Series
Have you struggled to work with thorny issues like out-of-control sexual behavior, partner conflict around porn use, or loss of sexual desire with midlife? Get the straight talk on these issues and many more directly from top leaders in the field like Ellyn Bader, Doug Braun-Harvey, and Ellen Barnard.
There are lots of online courses about sexuality. What makes this one different?
Will I get individualized attention and support?
Do I need to know a lot about sex before taking your course?
What if I already have quite a bit of experience working with sex issues? Will your course still benefit me?
How much time will it take?
Can I get CEUs?
Will I have to self-disclose?
Are there any resources available for students who can’t afford the full price?
Can I take this course for a second time?
Martha made herself so available for us… her very calm and matter-of-fact approach to this topic creates an openness and acceptance in the class environment I have seldom experienced with other teachers.
Alexa Elkington, MFT, Las Vegas, NV
Martha is a fantastic teacher. It was clear from the beginning how experienced she is.
Sarah Ludington, LPC, Denver CO
A no-holds-barred real life, real issues, real conversations look at intimacy struggles and how to engage couples who are entrenched in unsatisfying interactions with no way out.
Rev. Erich Moraine, Certified IFS practitioner, Milwaukee, WI
She’s the complete expert in what she does, and has a way of making complicated subjects really easy to understand.
Nancy St John, couples counselor, Ireland
Martha’s course material is excellent, and I can’t tell you how much I enjoy having access to quality information. I am asking my clients about sex more often, and am becoming more relaxed in my approach to it. I put a link to Sex Resources on my website’s homepage, and consequently, I am getting more clients who have issues pertaining to sexuality. It’s great!
Caron Smith, MSW, Victoria, Canada
Martha provides a very safe learning environment for what can be a sensitive subject. She not only explains why therapists should open the door to a dialogue about sexuality, but also provides an incredibly effective screening tool and information about what to do or ask, as many different scenarios unfold in sessions. As my knowledge base grew exponentially, I learned many ways to help my clients articulate what they want with regard to sex and how partners can express this to each other. Martha gives a tremendous amount of herself and her knowledge to the course and she is committed to each person’s learning and understanding. This is very clearly her passion.
Lauren Ostrowski, MA, LPC, NCC, DCC, CCTP, Pottstown, PA
Hi, Martha, I just wanted to let you know that I had my first ‘circular model of sex’ discussion with two men. If you had told me a year ago that I would do this, I would’ve said you were nuts. Thank you!!
CG, LMFT, Licensed in MN and WI
Martha’s course is deeply informative, but also highly relatable for someone like myself without previous sex therapy training. I feel like I reference something that I learned in 80% of my sessions (and in my personal life, as well!)
Julie Gladnick, MA, LMFT, Denver, CO
I’m using what I learned with Martha every single time I do a workshop or a retreat…It’s truly making a difference for people.
Bri McCarroll, MSW, LICSW
Join the waitlist
Get notified when the 2022 course opens for registration